Translate This Blog

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Weedy Worries

Over the last few days we had a good, steady rain, one of the best ones in quite some time. Our area has been under a drought for well over a year, so it was nice to see. Spring is here, and I can see trees and bushes starting to bloom.

I can also see the clover and weeds springing up in my yard. This is one of the downsides to home ownership. I love the way a well-kept yard looks, but I'm not very good at doing it myself. It takes time and money, and I don't have a lot of excess of either. In the winter I could look at the relatively dead foliage and plants and not worry about it. But now that my grass is growing and the weeds are springing up in my flower beds, I can no longer pretend that my yard is doing okay.

It's so frustrating to have to deal with this. I mean, grass should just grow, right? And it should all look a uniform green. Unfortunately, it's not that easy, and over the years I've discovered that weeds are much easier to grow than grass. Every year I have to worry about it, and every year I seem to be less successful. But I just can't bring myself to give up and grow a healthy yard of crabgrass.

Within the next week or two I'm going to head down to Lowe's and spend money on weed killer, fertilizer, and grass seed. Then I'll spend a couple of days spreading these concoctions on the yard, and a few weeks of watching and waiting for them to work. If I'm very lucky, I'll see a bit of reduction in the weeds and may be able to keep things about the same. At this point, I've started to think that this is about the best I can hope for. Or maybe I'm just being too pessimistic.

One of these days, I'm just going to put in astroturf.