Translate This Blog

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Rockwilders and Datsuns

One of the things I have to sometimes snicker and shake my head at is the way that many people butcher the names of certain breeds.  It's even more amusing and pitiful if the client actually owns that breed!  And having practiced in many parts of the country, I can't say that it's localized to one region. I can somewhat understand that people may have a problem with some names, as many breed names are from countries that don't have English as the primary language.  But these people usually are completely confident in what they call the breed and are completely ignorant of the proper name.  Let me give you some examples....

Rottweiler--I commonly hear them called "rockwilders", which butchers the name in so many ways.
Dachshund--I've heard both "datsun" and "dash-hound"
Shih-tzu--Oh, don't get me started on this one!  "Shit-zoo", "shee-zoo", and so many other mistakes.

I'm sure there are others that I haven't heard or just can't recall.  Really, it gets humorous until you realize that the people are completely serious.

Anyone have other examples of breed names you've heard people mess up?