Translate This Blog

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Back To The Grind

Well, the holidays are certainly over, and I've been back to work regularly, but have taken a bit of a break from blogging.  That doesn't mean that things haven't been happening!  Here's a quick run-down of events in the life of a vet...

--I had a lingering cough that turned into full-fledged bronchitis and I'm now on some potent medications for it.  I have my wife to thank for talking me into going to the doctor.  Why is it that doctors are usually the worst patients?

--Our practice is growing steadily, and I've begun the process of interviewing a new doctor to bring our total to three.  We have a good candidate, and we'll see if she will accept.

--I had a bad bite case come in on Saturday.  The dog had been bit by another dog in the family (not the first time the fought) and had some wounds on the head and chest.  As I examined it I quickly discovered that the frontal bones had been punctured and fractured.  Once I sedated the dog and looked more closely, I could see all the way into the frontal sinus.  For my non-medical readers, that means the open space in the top of the head that connects with the other sinuses and nasal passage.  It's the same thing that in humans causes a bad headache above the eyes when you have sinus pressure.  Well, the dog wasn't acting bad, and the skull wasn't badly enough damaged to cause brain damage so she should be okay with some luck.  Still, I've never seen an injury quite like that and it was pretty remarkable.

--My daughter showed that she really is my child.  My sister-in-law recently got a new baby guinea pig and brought it for us to look at.  He was really cute and fluffy, and as my daughter was holding him I asked her if she would rather have a guinea pig or a bearded dragon.  Without hesitation she answered "bearded dragon"!  Now that's my girl!

--Without going on a political rant, this week I have to wonder "What global warming?"  Here in the US we're getting record cold temperatures and some of the coldest weather in over 20 years.  Now if we could just get some snow (a rare occurrence here in the southeastern part of the country).

So now it's back to the grind and back to blogging!