Translate This Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

Nope, I haven't fallen off the Internet.  Between doing two plays and all of the rest of normal life, I haven't been on the computer very much and haven't had much time to blog.  But I'm back!  And some big changes at work.

I work for a practice that has normal operating hours seven days per week, as well as evening hours.  The idea is to be there when clients need us rather than keep to traditional doctor's hours.  It can be a bit tough on family life, as I normally don't get home until 7:30-8:00 at night, but the trade-off is that we don't have to do any after-hours emergency work.  It's definitely not "traditional" veterinary hours. 

Also, I manage the location for a multi-location practice and don't own it.  For the past two years it's been me and one other doctor at this location.  Business has grown enough that some changes are being made.

The first change is that we're adding a third doctor.  Bringing a new doctor into a practice is always a big change, as it alters the interpersonal dynamics.  You also have to walk a fine line by bringing the doctor in just before you fully have the business for it, allowing them to grow into the role and build a clientele.  I really like this new doctor and I think she meshes very well with the staff.

The other change is that we're extending our operating hours until 8:00.  This will make us open from 9:00 AM until 8:00 PM Monday through Saturday, and 10-5 on Sunday.  Yes, this will make for longer days, but it also allows us to get our weekly hours in fewer days.  I will actually have three days off per week rather than two, which is a nice trade.  Though I'll get home after my kids go to bed two days per week, I'll have a full extra day to do things around the house and spend time with them after school.

Changes are always a bit challenging.  I think that we're ready to expand, as business has been doing well.  However, there is always that part that worries if it's the right decision.  We'll find out pretty quickly!