Translate This Blog

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Moving On

I've probably mentioned before that the practice I work for has multiple satellite locations in our area and I manage one of them. Well, the more appropriate word is "managed".  Not to worry, it's not a bad thing.  I'm actually just switching locations.

I've been at multiple clinics over the years, and every place I've been at has been profitable and well managed.  In fact, I've developed a reputation as a successful manager and strong leader.  While this is a good reputation to have, it has led to some interesting experiences.  A few months ago I was approached with the offer of taking a new location and trying to make it successful.  The vet there is a good doctor but doesn't have the interest or ability to be a leader.  In my own location there is a doctor who was being groomed for leadership and this is a great time for her to step up and grow.  So after a little thought I accepted the offer.

Today was my last day in the old location. I've seen lots of changes there in the over two years I've managed it, and like to think that I'm leaving it on a high note.  The clientele is good, the staff pretty well managed, and the hospital is consistently operating in the black.  It's a bit of a bittersweet change, as I've made some good friends and know the people very well.  When you work in one place this long, you become comfortable with the circumstances and change can be a difficult thing.  But at the same time I like new challenges and can feel a bit stagnant after a while.  I've moved around a lot in the last 13 years, and like seeing new things and pursing new opportunities.

So Monday I begin at the new location.  I've filled in there before and know the staff, so it's not like it's a completely unknown clinic to me.  The drive is only about 10 minutes longer, so it's not significantly further for me.  In fact it's close enough that several of my regular clients are going to start coming there to see me. Hopefully the ones I'd rather not see will stay in the old clinic.  In either case the dynamics will be quite different.

New challenges await me.  The clinic I'm going to is stable but isn't living up to its potential for growth and clients.  The staff is good and experienced, but they're short-handed so we will need to hire some new people.  The other vet is skilled but apparently doesn't take change well, so we'll see how my style works there. Overall the foundation is there and I'll just need to build on that. 

Time to move on and see how things work from here on out.