Translate This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Big 1-0!

It can be amazing how time flies.  Today my son turns 10 years old.  Wow!  The first of our children to number age in double digits.  Last night my wife and I were looking at pictures from just a few years ago and it's pretty remarkable how much he's grown during that time.  I very clearly remember when he was born, after a long and hard labor, and how he had to be in the hospital for a week because of pneumonia.  They had whisked him out of the birthing room as soon as he was born and we didn't get to hold him until the next day.  I saw him before my wife did since I was able to get up and walk over to where he was.  Thankfully it wasn't too serious and he's had no complications since then.  But what a start!

The last 10 years have had their ups and downs just like with any child.  But I must say that Lucas is a great kid with a very kind and loving heart.  Yes, he has his selfish moments and is a typical kid in many regards, but we're all like that at times.  He's smart, creative, and loving and can be a lot of fun to be around.  Originally I wasn't too keen on the idea of having a son, as I wanted daughters.  Silly me!  He's so much easier for me to handle than our daughter, and it's great being able to share typical father-son interests:  comic books, sci-fi and adventure movies, etc.

For better or for worse he won't be following in his father's chosen profession.  This kid has the most sensitive nose and weakest stomach I think I've ever seen.  On Monday I stained a new dresser for him and had it sitting outside for most of the afternoon.  We put it in his room and when he went to bed that night he had to run out almost throwing up because of the smell of the stain.  I could hardly notice anything.  He also doesn't like blood, feces, urine, or any of the other gross things that a vet has to deal with.  So I'm not sure what he'll end up doing, but I'm confident that it won't be in veterinary medicine.

So happy birthday to my son!  I'm so blessed to have him in my life!