Translate This Blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Being Thankful

Here in the US and Canada it's Thanksgiving Day.  In our countries we set aside this day to get together with friends and family to celebrate what we're thankful for.  Of course, we also use it to eat a lot of food and prepare for the after-Thanksgiving sales.  But primarily it's supposed to be a day to reflect on the things in our life that are good and a blessing.


I'm thankful for my wife, who is my best friend and the best thing I've ever had in my life.

I'm thankful for God and Jesus, who have changed me and my life and who guide me through tough times and have helped me overcome so many problems.

I'm thankful for my kids, who are better than I deserve, and even though they can be aggravating (hey, they're kids) are still a great source of joy.

I'm thankful for my job, which even though it's not what I'd most like to do, it's a good career that affords me  a salary that lets me be the sole provider for my family and has gotten me the respect of my clients, staff, and peers.

I'm thankful for living in the United States.  Even though there are many things imperfect and wrong about parts of it, it's still a great place to live.

I'm thankful for food in the fridge, a roof over our heads, electricity and running water, and paid bills.

I'm thankful for our pets, who can be more aggravating than the kids (like the kitten who is making it difficult to type by laying on my lap and arms, purring loudly) but also bring unconditional love.

I'm thankful for loving parents who raised me to be independent and confident, plus instilled in me a sense of morality and honor.


I'm thankful for comic books, cartoons, and the Muppets, all things that bring a smile to my face.

I'm thankful for Star Wars, Firefly, Star Trek, and other sci-fi settings that make me want to live in their worlds.

I'm thankful for imagination and creativity, things that can let my mind venture into realms I'll never actually see.

Even if you're not in North America, I hope you can take this day to sit down and list out your blessings, giving thanks for each and every one.  There's nobody out there who can't find at least one thing to be thankful for.  Take this time to do so.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!